photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Style Files: David Jimenez

david_ps_photo_wall_1_2

David Jiménez is one of my personal style icons. His beautiful, inspired work has resonated with me since the first moment I laid eyes on his portfolio. His style is the perfect combination of classic, tailored, and modern design elements. All of the spaces he designs exude a sense of charm and warmth, which is only natural considering the fact that he is, in my humble opinion, one of the nicest people in the style industry. He carries himself with complete grace and class and has been so kind to me since the first post I ever wrote about his work a few years back. It is an absolute pleasure to feature him in the Style Files series. I can’t say that I was surprised to find that I completely agree with so many of his answers. I guess there’s a reason why he is one of my style icons!

 

david style

Name: David Jimenez
Occupation: VP Visual Merchandising and Store Design, Hallmark Cards 
Hometown: New York City 
Current City: Kansas City, MO

Copyright 2006 ML Collis Photography & Design

{Kansas City Living Room}

LDV: What inspired your career in visual merchandising?

DJ: Ever since I was old enough to move my parent’s living room furniture around in the Bronx, I have been passionate about interiors. I launched my career in New York City at Gap. Later, I became VP of visual merchandising at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware, playing an important role in developing their aesthetic and style. Six years ago, Hallmark Cards called. I moved to Kansas City from San Francisco to help evolve this legendary brand.

Copyright 2006 ML Collis Photography & Design {Kansas City Sun Room}

LDV: What do you love most about what you do?

DJ: Every day at work is a little like creating theater--setting a stage with each new season.

Copyright 2006 ML Collis Photography & Design

{Kansas City Sitting Room}

LDV: Where do you find inspiration?

DJ: I travel often with work, locally and abroad. Its a great way to spot trends, tap into new styling details and see where design is headed.

Copyright 2006 ML Collis Photography & Design

{Kansas City Guest Bedroom}

LDV: Who are your personal style icons?

DJ: Thomas O'Brien for his classic and effortless American style. Kelly Wearstler for her theatrical point of view. David Hicks for all things retro and chic.

{Kansas City Carriage House}

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

DJ: Layered, collected, comfortable and warm.

{Kansas City Carriage House}

LDV: What trait do you most admire in a person?

DJ: Honesty, loyalty, and sincerity.

davidapache_0022{Palm Springs Regency}

LDV: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?


DJ: There was a saying in Spanish my mom would tell me as a kid growing up in New York, "Como te tires, asi te tratan". Loosely translated it means, "How you present yourself, is how you'll be treated." They have been words to live by for me.

david01_APACHE_new

{Palm Springs Regency}

LDV: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

DJ: Making it to work on time.

davidapache_0014{Palm Springs Regency}

LDV:  What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

DJ: A lazy Sunday morning that starts with a delicious cup of coffee from my new 
French press, and Henri Salvador on heavy rotation in the background.

 

david faves

david jimenez kc {Kansas City Living Room}

Bloom: Pink Coral Peonies. They have a wonderful scent and the shot of color
adds punch to my mostly neutral-color living room.

Food: An order of the classic Caesar Salad, Chicken for Two, and Mound of Fries from Zuni Cafe on Market Street in San Francisco. Its one of my favorite haunts in the city!

Drink: I just started drinking Vodka gimlet martinis and I love them!

david psmc {Palm Springs Mid-Century}

Thing to Wear: I recently walked into an eyeglass shop and asked for 70's looking Ari Onassis glasses. I walked out with the hippest looking pair of specs that have become my favorite new accessory

Season: Winter in Palm Springs. Its a beautiful time of year to be in the desert.

Musician: Amy Winehouse (I'm holding hope that she makes a comeback), Carla Bruni (always sultry and seductive), Lorez Alexandria (she's not as well known as Ella, Dinah or Sarah but she has all the chops of those greats).

Copyright 2006 ML Collis Photography & Design

{Kansas City Attic}

Artist: Henry Moore is a modern master. We have a sculpture garden at the Nelson Art Gallery, here in Kansas City, and it's a treat to see so much of his work in one place.

Film: Cinema Paradiso--a romantic classic.

Television Show: Madmen. A smart, well-written show with trendsetting style.

david apache_0017 {Palm Springs Regency}

Book: I recently sold my house and downsized to a condo in a historical part of town. I unpacked a slew of great books from my move and started re-reading A Room With A View. It's as good as the first time around!

Magazines: Its sad that we have lost so many good ones recently. I always enjoy Vanity Fair, Elle Decor, House Beautiful and Kansas City Spaces among others.

Fabric or Pattern: Ikat, flame stitch, zig zag patterns, zebra prints in fun bright colors and retro-looking geometric prints.

david ps_mc_1 {Palm Springs Mid-Century}

Color: I chose a color scheme of light and dark grays, and taupes for the new condo, then punctuated the rooms with accessories in bold colors like citron yellow, kelly green, orange and turquoise

Extravagance: Veuve, Tiffany cufflinks and Gucci loafers.

Quote: Ever since moving into the condo, occasionally I run into a chic, eccentric neighbor that dresses to the nines and packs a stack of vintage Louis Vuitton to go gambling every weekend. "Life is not dress rehearsal!", she asserted, the last time we visited together while waiting for her driver to pull the car around. Boy, does she have it right!

 

All Images Courtesy of David Jiménez

15 comments:

Sherry said...

I absolutely love his style as well. I live in the Kansas City area and having him live here some how makes Kansas City feel more important. I have a subcription to KC spaces simply because of his and Patricia Shakleford's (aka Mrs. Blanding) columns each month. The most recent issue gave us a sneak peak at the kitchen in his new condo. I can't wait to see more!

jess said...

from the little preview, the 'Kansas City Attic' looks amazing. I love the yellow in the Palm Springs too, these are all truly lovely!

Erika Ward said...

wonderful interview. D.J. is one of my all time style icons as well. I love what he said about his work...

"Every day at work is a little like creating theater--setting a stage with each new season. "

Stated brilliantly!

Unknown said...

I am adoring this interview and every single photo! I want to grab a Vodka gimlet (love those) with David and soak up his fabulous talent.

My husband is from Kansas and it really pleases me to see it shown in the stylish light I know it can be.....which is not the first thing most people think of.

I know Hallmark is thrilled to have David. Thank you for sharing him with us!
Elizabeth

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Another great introduction to someone!!! Keep 'em coming!!

Carpe Diem said...

Gorgeous rooms...The yellow, gray, white and interposed with blues, browns, orange, and pink is perfect. Thanks for for sharing.

LuxuriousLife said...

Thank you for posting this!! I love his home, could live in any of the rooms. I started out in Visual Merchandizing for a large department store before I began my career in Architecture, I am always making "vingettes" on tables, lovely to see how he accessorizes. A Room with a View is one of my all time favorites too!!!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

What a great interview! I love his style. That's fantastic that you were able to cultivate a relationship with such a talented designer. Soooo jealous!!

Anonymous said...

Great interview! He has such fabulous style. This makes me miss Kansas City (my hometown)! He prove it ain't no cow town (though I do love his nod to it with that cowhide rug!). :)

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

Ive seen his work around the net for quite some time...and i always love saving it on my harddrive...he's super TALENTED!!

www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

katiedid said...

Great interview.....LOVE him!

alison giese Interiors said...

His eye is just about as good as it gets for me, and he seems like such a truly gracious human being. So glad you were able to feature him!

eleni said...

Oh my, his style and taste are wonderful. So many ideas, so little time!

Helen

casey at loft and cottage said...

I really adore his classic chic style. Thanks for sharing this.

Smitten Design said...

he is one of my favorite finds. his style is so warm and inviting. great interview.