photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Anatomy of a Home: Breakfast Rooms

Michael Siller
Hello again from Lauren with The Semi-Designed Life! I'm back with yet another thrilling episode of Anatomy of a Home. Today, we'll be disecting breakfast rooms. Breakfast rooms are kind of foreign to me. I was a dining-room-only child. Ok, let's get real. I was mostly an eat-in-front-of-the-TV-child. So this whole concept of eating in the kitchen just doesn't do it for me. That is, unless there's a TV in there.

I've been doing lots of research on breakfast rooms because my man bud only has a breakfast room in terms of his eating premises. So when I move in at the end of September, a breakfast room and I will officially be dating. And I'm going to have to find a way to squeeze a TV into that equation.

I especially love to hearts this breakfast room featured above. I had the privilege of seeing it in person and she's supes precious. I couldn't get over how the banquette was flush up against the island. Such a room saver! Especially if you don't use bar stools. Which clearly aren't as comfortable for the TV watching/dining equation.

 
Anatomy Lesson #1: Get creative with space. Even if you have a lot of room to work with, make your breakfast room a little nook you would never want to leave.
 

Lonny Magazine - Tobi Tobin
 
This is the epitome of a nook. I love the coziness yet vast expansiveness by utilizing the amazing view to open the space up. It also provides a treasure trove of storage by adding the ledge above the windows. And don't think I didn't notice the conveniently located bar in the corner there. Cleverly located, Tobi, very clever. You never know when you might need a bit of the hair of the dog. And if I lived here, I would certainly be napping on the banquette after a long night out.
 
Anatomy Lesson #2: Don't forget that a bar in every room of the house is always considered appropriate.
 
Southern Accents - William Waldron
This is an oldie but a goodie. I think the curvature of the banquette is such a fun way to break up the lines of the room. A round table is immediately more intimate and inviting and this space makes me want to grab a blanket and cuddle. Now, this banquette might make a morning nap after a rough night a little bit more difficult, but I'm up for the challenge.
 
Anatomy Lesson #3: Quit being such a square and add some curves to your life.
 
Lonny Magazine - Jamie Meares

This little corner makes my heart smile. Mostly because I love seahorses and I'm pretty sure they love me. I adore how Jamie made a "nothing" corner into something splendidly charismatic and playful!
 
Anatomy Lesson #4: You can eat just about anywhere. Put your breakfast nook in the place in your house that makes you happiest. Like in front of the TV. Duh.









5 comments:

carolyn bradford said...

Your last paragraph sums up what I was thinking! It really doesn't matter "where" you eat as long as it appeals to you and it's pleasant! When my kids were young we always sat at the table in the breakfast room unless it was a larger crowd and then it was in the dining room! Both are wonderful…however, with a 18 year old leaving for college as our last child at home…we've slowly but surely gravitated to the den with the tv! And I've grown to love it! But I do think it's important to make it quality time as a family in the growing up years! No matter where you eat! This was a fun post to read with beautiful pictures on top of that! Thanks for sharing!

Dawna Jones Design said...

I have never had a breakfast nook either but we always sit at the bar on stools and watch the tv while eating!But this has inspired me to maybe try something different the next build. Thank you great post!
http://www.dawnajonesdesign.com/

Aspiring Kennedy said...

I don't know if we are going to be transitioning back to the formal dining room era of meals anytime soon (it's hard enough to get everyone to sit down at the same time together). Adding a couch to the breakfast nook is such a wonderful idea. Especially because in the mornings sitting in a hard-backed chair to eat cereal is just not appealing. Couches are a good transition from the bed to the office chair.

Shannon said...

The nook from Loony mag is so gorgeous. That is exactly where I could sip my morning coffee, read my WSJ, catch up on my blogs, and putting a tiny TV wouldn't hurt either! I could probably stay there all day.

www.dylandrake.blogspot.com

Lalli's taste said...

The first one is my dreamin kitchen!
Simply, classical and beautiful!
the other styles amazing too.

http://lallistaste.blogspot.com/